Whether you are a home-seller, a homebuyer, or currently a happy home owner, there is likely some home maintenance that needs to be done in and around your property. Maybe some are big, some are small, but we'd like to help you prevent the over-whelm that can come from not staying on top of the workload of being a homeowner.
As grandma always said, 'a stitch in time, saves nine.' This means that by nipping home repairs in the bud and generally keeping up with home maintenance regularly, will save you a whole lot of time and energy later. If left too long, small issues can become much larger, and so by going through this extensive home repair walk-through checklist, you will be able to find and fix issues with your home long before they become problems.
This list may seem long, and it might take you a while to get through, but once you have that list of repairs that need to be done complied, then you are set to start going through them. Take it one step at a time. Not everything needs to be fixed all at once, but if you are diligent in maintaining the home you have, you will be way ahead of the game if ever you want to sell.
If you're a homebuyer at this moment, you may want to bring this list along with you to track that work that will need to be done if you should choose to buy that home. It's better to be realistic than find out years later that the up-keep of the home will cost you a small fortune.
Here is the Home Maintenance Walk-Through Checklist:
- Is the trim around your house tight? Are there any cracks?
- Is the paint smooth and covering all areas that it should be?
- Is the landscaping alive and well-maintained?
- Are there any cracked concrete slabs needing replacement?
- How is the mortar in the stonework holding up?
- Is the exterior of the home clean?
- Inspect stairs and railings, making sure all are secure.
- Are the driveway and walkways in good condition?
Doors and Windows
- Do all doors and windows open easily?
- Is the glass in proper place and without cracks?
- Are all locks operational?
- Does the doorbell work?
- Does the garage door operate with ease from all buttons, on all openers?
- Are all room walls and trim painted, including in closets and stairwells?
- Are the moldings all secure and well painted?
- Is the carpet secured tightly?
- Are there any gaps in the tile or linoleum?
- Are the wooden floors properly finished?
- Is there any discolouration of the grout around tiles?
Appliances and Surfaces
- Are all of the appliances working properly?
- Do all of the cupboards and cabinet drawers open and close properly?
- Are all faucets and plumbing fixtures operating properly?
- Do all electric fixtures and outlets work well?
- Are all electrical outlet covers in good condition?
- Inspect the electric panels to make sure all breakers are functioning and clearly labelled.
- Are all mirrors securely attached and clean?
- Check that all interior stairs and railings are secure.
- Is the drywall sagging or stained in any place? Has water damage been properly dealt with?
- Do all the home heating, cooling and water heating units operate properly?
- Inspect all air and water filters, replace if necessary
- If the home has a fireplace, check to be sure that the draft and damper both work well.
- Are there any scratches or scuffs on any surfaces that need to be repaired?
- Do you have all the appliance manuals and warranties organized and accessible?
Basement and Attic
- Are there any indications of water damage, dampness or leaks?
- Are there cracks in the foundation or the floors?
- Are all wires, pipes, and heating ducts secured well and working?
- Is the insulation in good shape?
Roof and Gutters
- Are all shingles flat and tightly secured?
- Are there any leaks between the roofing and the gutters?
- Do the downspouts and splash-blocks direct water well away from the home?
- Are the gutters cracked in any place?
- Have the gutters been cleaned of debris lately?
How did you do on the home maintenance checklist? We commend you for taking the time to protect your greatest investment by taking good care of it now. We look forward to helping you with your Ucluelet relocation needs - so please feel free to contact us and start living in Ukee!